Exactly how full is your glass?
“People who wonder whether the glass is half empty or half full miss the point. The glass is refillable.” - unknown
Picture a big glass goblet filled to the halfway mark with water. Consider the age-old question: how do you see it - half-full or half-empty?
Consistently finding the glass half-empty and the world as a difficult place is a hallmark of negativity.
Research has found that a negative outlook can contribute to everything from depression to heart disease to lowered immune system function. It can affect sleep, weight maintenance, the quality of your relationships, your social life, and even your ability to fight disease. Conversely, a positive outlook can lead to better health, higher energy, greater creativity and not surprisingly, a more positive outlook. (Check out the Highlights from the Research Project on Gratitude and Thankfulness.) Now imagine what it would feel like to approach life from a place of positivity, fun, connection, health and possibility. Sounds good, doesn’t it?
To help wipe out negativity, try one or more of these six simple practices to enhance your positive outlook:
1. Go complaint-free. Try going an hour without complaining and see the positive things in your life. Next, try a day, a week, and so on.
2. Keep a gratitude journal. Each evening, list three or more things that you are grateful for. Research shows that doing this exercise for 21 days, actually changes your brain.
3. Give compliments freely. Notice the good in others. Praise every person you interact with.
4. Look for beauty everywhere in your world. It can be in nature, in architecture or the smiles of your children.
5. Share your good news. Studies show that sharing happy events brings even more happiness.
6. Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want.
Maintaining a positive outlook is a choice and takes practice. As with any practice, the more you do it, the easier it gets. The payoff - a happier, healthier life - is worth it.
For more positivity inspiration check out Shawn Archor in his funny video The Happy Secret to Better Work.
Want to learn more about how to become healthier, happier and stronger? Sign up for the Resilient by Design, a 10-week online program that will help fit wellness and self-care into your life so that you can become the best version of yourself.
The Leadership Wellness Group helps busy individuals prioritize their health and wellness in today’s hyper-scheduled, 24/7 competitive work environment.